Sunday, December 23, 2012

Hair today,gone tomorrow.....


Today's post will focus on my hair or my lack of it. My hair "issues" was brought about by my own handi work, all in the name of following hair trends. It all started from my University days, after the freedom from Boarding house rules of weaving hair. As soon as I gained admission to Unilag,youthful exuberance took over! I started making every hairstyle I had always wanted to make. There was a time  "Patra" was the reigning hairstyle (thick fat braids touching the waist). Mine didn't go as far as my waist but I tried sha." Ah! Willow! You know you inherited my Mother-In-Law's hair", my mum would shout, "and you are doing this kind of hairstyle?? "You will give yourself neck problems" my dad would warn me."You will be bald before you are 30" my mum would predict (Thanks mum!).

 Did I answer them? Of course not! Were they aware of the current hair trends?? Did they expect me to still be doing shuku or koroba to School?? I basically ignored them and did my thang! Fast forward years on, I finished School, went to serve, got a job and got married. I started noticing my hairline wasn't keeping up with the rate I was traumatizing it, It wasn't growing back as fast as it was breaking!! Small survey I carried out revealed that natural Indian hemp was good for hair growth. I started harassing Oga to get Indian hemp for me to treat my hairline (I had no idea where to get some but that didn't deter me at all).

 Initially, he said okay just to get me off his back, but when he realised I meant business, he had to break it to me hard. "Willow, how will it look if the Police raided at the time I was buying the hemp and arrest me? Do you think they will believe me if I explained to them that the hemp is meant for my wife's hair? you know the nature of my work now". True, the man had a point there! (Hmmmm......I seriously doubted Oga  would have changed  his mind if I had made a promise to come and bail him).The worst part was finding a stray strand or two of  facial hair . "What are you doing there?" I would ask it/them, "Why didn't you liaise with your counterparts on top? If you weren't so lazy you should have found your way to my hairline and not to my face. Mschewww!! See wastage!

D1 also did major damage as a baby, always pulling my hair and using it to prop himself up on my laps or chewing it. I got fed up about the whole hair thing and decided to chop it off to give it a rest. Then I started texturizing it, hoping the whole hair would eventually co-operate, hold hands and grow together o! For where?? After a year of maintaining short hair and not seeing a lot of improvement, I started braiding it again to grow it back.

 Enters Iya Titi, my home service" hair stylist". She was good with braids and she was very fast but she had this habit of picking all the tiny strands of hair of my hairline and braiding them. Tears would well up in my eyes (it was that painful!) when she was braiding them.

 Me: Iya Titi! Leave my frontal hair now! 

 Iya Titi: The hair won't look neat o!

 Me: Leave it! You want more to fall out?? Please don't turn me bald in broad daylight!

 Iya Titi: Don't worry, the way I'm braiding it won't cut your hair.

Me: Are you sure?

 Iya Titi: Yes now, you can trust me.

 I really shouldn't have!!! She betrayed my hairline! Of course the hairline receded when I loosened the braids!! The last straw was when she did Ghana weave for me, by the time I loosened the hair and saw her handi work again, I just deleted her number from my phone! I decided to look inwards and start using the Salon in my area. I tried one and I was impressed with their work. This Salon was okay for a while until the time they did braids for me too....... I stopped going there. Hmmmmm......I suspect there is a State wide conspiracy to baldify me at all cost!!!

My quest for a new Hair Salon continued. Fortunately, there was this Hair Salon that opened not too far from my Shop, I decided to try my luck there. The owner, a lady, was very good! She had male hair stylists as well which was a plus in my books, I was quite impressed ( y'all know most male hair stylists are better than their female counterparts!). She  was about my age, quite friendly and very pretty. She was married with 3 kids. I noticed She was quite chatty as well.

After a few visits to her Salon, She decided to confide in me. Her husband was giving her stress and she wasn't happy. He was having an extra-marital affair. The sad part of the whole story was the other woman was living in her husband's Hotel. I advised her to seek a Marriage counselor and be prayerful. A few weeks later, on my next visit to her Salon, She gave me an update on her marital crises. She revealed that she had been going to different Churches for a solution.

 In one particular Church someone referred her to, which was outside Lagos, She was told to fast for a particular period of time, then carry a calabash at midnight to a particular spot by herself and start praying against all those not allowing her to enjoy her matrimonial home (She mentioned earlier that her Mother-In-Law and some elderly Aunties from her husband's side of the family encouraged her husband to see other women because they never liked her).

 So when she got back from her "prayer session", She heard news that one of the Aunties had been wounded in an Okada accident (a  broken leg) and another one was also wounded when a Wardrobe in her room fell on her.'Oh crap!!' Thinks I, this woman has spoilt show for me once again! And my hair was beginning to "bond" with her Salon peeps o!  *sigh* I mentally crossed off her Salon from my mind. Abi na  just coincidence and not potent jazz that caused those accidents?? I will forever wonder because I never went back to find out o! I stopped going there sharp! Sharp!

I eventually called my friend who initially  introduced me to Iya Titi  and got back Iya Titi's number. I started patronizing her again and she started taking it easy with my hairline. She recently got me what I've wanted in a long while, Indian hemp and shea butter combo!!! (Home made y'all!).It seems to be working and I think I can see the results already (or I'm deceiving myself as usual).

2 comments:

Would love to hear from readers...